Before I get back to the real questions and answers, I have some answers from questions asked on my Question and Answers post! Ha, ha - this sort of thing could backlog me forever!
Here are all of the jobs I’ve held (or at least the ones I can remember) over the years in more or less chronological order:
1. and 2. Baskin-Robbins – I worked at two different locations, several months apart. I seem to recall that the official policy was one scoop of free ice cream per shift, but I ignored that. I’m the girl on the right. At left is my high school BFF.
3. McDonald’s – I lasted all of six weeks. This was in the 80s, but the uniforms were straight out of 1979, with big ol’ bell bottom polyester pants. I pegged them with safety pins, of course.
4. Captain Video – We got to rent two movies a day for free, so I’ve pretty much seen every single movie in the world that came out in 1987 and 1988. My boss ended up being my mom’s neighbor years later, which was sort of awkward.
5. and 6. Various college grant jobs – my memories are pretty vague around 1988, but I think I worked in a bookstore and maybe the Student Services office. Something like that. I remember learning how to use a copy machine that would collate and staple things, which was pretty freakin’ amazing. And there were these new-fangled things called computers…
7., 8., 9. and 10. Restaurant jobs – I was a hostess and/or a waitress for quite a few years at four different restaurants. Pic on the left was my favorite job at Lyon’s, a chain which barely exists anymore. I’m on the far right. And yes, the girl I’m standing next to is holding a cigarette. The prep cooks used to smoke while cutting up the salad! The world was a different place in 1992.
11., 12., 13., 14. and 15. Things I Did Very Briefly – I did temp work for about a year, but I’m only counting that as one job. If I counted them all, my total would be in the 40s or 50s, I think. I worked in a lingerie store while it was liquidating (six weeks if I remember correctly and heaven knows I probably don’t!) I think I lasted an entire week at a telemarketing job, but it might have only been one day that just felt like a week. I sold spas for a few weeks at my friend’s store. No, that’s not accurate, since I don’t think I sold a single one. I worked in a store that sold spas. I also worked for a consulting company who was helping to open a bank. For the life of me, I can’t remember what I did there, but I’m sure it involved filing. *yawn*
16. Event Coordinator at Lakewold Gardens – This was my first job out of college. The pay was low and it was barely part-time. Hmmm, sounds a lot like my jobs before college!
17. Admin/Placement Coordinator – I turned the tables on all that temp work by working for a temp agency. I quit when I started having babies.
18. On-call After Hours Coordinator for a home health agency – Like it wasn’t tough enough getting up in the middle of the night with a baby, I got paid to wake up in the middle of the night to handle staffing problems with home health nurses.
19. Tupperware – Yep, I was a Tupperware lady. BTW, have you noticed that all of these photographs involve me (or Big Boy!) wearing an apron? And that I always appear on the right side of the photo? But wait, there’s more…
21. Fitness Trainer – My current job, which is part-time and low-paying. Plus ca change, plus c’est le meme chose. But! I don’t wear an apron. I also don’t have any photographic evidence of this job, you’ll just have to take my word for it.
Oh, yeah, I’ve also had one other job…
Coming soon: more answers to your questions and – oh, what the heck – I might even talk about training!