Nope, I’m definitely not Nanny material, but I was honored with the Stylish Blogger Award by the oh-so awesome Rose and one of my favorite bloggers Sophia, and every time I started thinking about what to post, that theme song would pop into my head!
In honor of being elected to the Style Council, I thought I’d share with you my ever changing moods. (Ha, ha! That’s a little 80s musical trivia for those of you who weren’t even born yet.) No, better yet, I’m going to show you seven of my most UN-stylish moments. Everyone love embarrassing pictures, right??
2. Again with my brother and sister, August 1980. The shirt I’m wearing was a hand-me-down from my sister that I coveted for a long time before she gave it to me. I can still remember what that shirt felt like, I loved it so much. Now, of course, as a mom, I wonder what the hell my mother was thinking, letting me slap the word “DELICIOUS” on my 10-year old chest. I’m pretty sure my thinking was that maybe I would look like a girl for once. With that awesome haircut, I got mistaken for a boy with alarming frequency.
3. Being the youngest of three, there are virtually NO childhood pictures of me alone. Lucky you, you get to bask in the unstylish glory of us all sportin’ the collared shirt and sweater look (I’m on the right, in dark blue. I mention this because hopefully I am so unrecognizable in this picture that you weren’t sure it was me. Yes, it is.) This is probably 1981 or ‘82 – the Awkward Years, fer sher.
4. May, 1987 – umm, still Awkward. This photo pretty much epitomizes my teenage years: the perma-scowl, the bushy eyebrows and the baggy clothing that I prayed would hide the extra 15 pounds. I’m on the far left in the not-so-slimming stripes. The “new girl” in this pic is my brother’s then-girlfriend, now-wife of 20+ years.
5. Summer, 1994 – the Party Girl years. Oh, my. Where to begin with the awfulness that is this photo? Let’s start with the ghostly white makeup, then move to the cropped VEST that I am wearing as a shirt (WTF?) and finally to the shorts-with-a-belt debacle. At 24, I think I should have known better, but clearly I did not.
6. Spring, 2002 – the Mom-Jeans Years. Apparently, I owned a pair of overalls and I color-coordinated my outfits with my boys (that’s Big Boy on the far left and Little Boy closest to me – the other two were playgroup friends). I have no memory of making any of these sartorial decisions.
Okay, well that was fun! I know the rules say I’m supposed to tag some of you, but I think quite a lot of you have already done your stylish post already. If you haven’t yet, consider yourself TAGGED!